Western Sydney, NSW
- Opportunity for safe, secure employment with a large international company.
- No experience required.
- Full paid training program provided.
- Full-time and casual work available.
- Men, women, indigenous, culturally diverse people encouraged to apply.
- Update - Closing date extended to 4pm AEST Saturday 25th February 2017.
- Anticipated Pre-Service Course commencement on 8th May 2017.
About Parklea Correctional Centre
Located in Western Sydney, Parklea Correctional Centre, Parklea houses 1000 remand and sentenced maximum and minimum security inmates and includes a Works Release Centre. The facility also provides employment and skills training, recovery programs and therapy.
Parklea Correctional Centre is operated by The GEO Group Australia P/L, which is a subsidiary of the US-based The GEO Group, Inc.
For more information about our organisation, please visit our website at www.geogroup.com.au
Please note that ALL NSW Correctional Centres including Parklea are TOTALLY SMOKE FREE
About the Opportunity
Seeking a career where you can make a real difference to the lives of a diverse group of individuals and the community? This could be the career change you’ve been waiting for.
Correctional Officers perform the important role of managing and supervising offenders, ensuring the safety and security of the Correctional Centre and assisting key stakeholders to reduce recidivism through specially designed programs and services delivered to offenders.
What skills & experience do you need?
Your life experience is valued in this role, we know that good prison officers come from a variety of backgrounds and bring a range of work experience and skills. No previous experience in a similar role or any particular qualifications are required. Women, men, indigenous, culturally diverse and people with a mature attitude and life experience are all encouraged to investigate the possibility of becoming a Correctional Officer.
We look for strong capabilities in the following areas:
- Conflict management and problem-solving
- Influencing and negotiation
- Initiative and accountability
- Empathy and cultural awareness
- Professionalism, integrity and maturity
- Candidates must be aged 18 years or over.
- Permanent Australian Resident or Australian Citizen.
- Hold a current unrestricted driver's licence.
- Have the ability to operate in a correctional setting, working directly with offenders and complying with the Centre's security procedures.
- Obtain and maintain a satisfactory security clearance as approved by the Commissioner of Corrective Services NSW. Such clearance is unlikely to be granted if you have been convicted of a criminal offence even as a juvenile.
- Correctional Officers also need to be able to maintain a good level of physical fitness (especially muscular-skeletal); and persons who engage in excessive alcohol consumption and/or use illegal drugs are not suited to this work environment.
As key members of the Operations Department team, Correctional Officers are required to successfully complete a nine week Pre-Service Training Course, prior to commencement as a probationary Correctional Officer. The next course is anticipated to commence on Monday, 8th May 2017.
For additional information in relation to all aspects of the role as well as the recruitment and selection process, please click here for the Applicant Information Brochure.
Salary and Benefits
As a Trainee Correctional Officer (for the nine weeks of the Pre-Service Course), the salary is $23.56 per hour. Once graduated permanent Correctional Officers Level 1 earn $2,250.58 per fortnight before tax and superannuation.
The GEO Group is seeking applications from people interested in both “full-time” and “casual” work. Whilst the majority of the present opportunities are for full-time vacancies, a number of the positions have been reserved for persons seeking casual work.
Most shifts worked by Correctional Officers are 8 hours and full-time staff work 19 shifts during each 28 day roster cycle, allowing for plenty of time to establish a comfortable work / life balance.
GEO is an equal opportunity employer, and is proud to be able to offer their staff career progression as well as the opportunity to work in different roles / departments or even a different GEO-operated Correctional Centre.
Further benefits include:
- Uniforms and footwear provided.
- Free secure car parking.
- Ongoing paid training.
- Free Staff Gym
How to Apply
The GEO Group Australia asks that you follow these three steps in order to apply for this job:
- Download an Application Form here
- Print the form, fill it out, and scan it to your computer
- Return to this website, complete your contact details and attach your completed Application Form, a copy of your Resume and answer the screening questions.
Please note: Applications close on 25th February 2017, 4pm AEST and the PRE-SERVICE COURSE COMMENCES 8th of May 2017!